You can use any combo of beans you have on hand, but I love the silkiness of the cannelloni beans.
Add chopped chicken or sausage if you want to make it heartier.
I got this from Cookinglight.com.
Two-Bean Soup with Kale
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth, divided
- 7 cups stemmed, chopped kale (about 1 bunch)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added cannelloni beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
Preparation1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, carrot, and celery, and saute 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in 3 cups vegetable broth and kale. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until kale is crisp-tender.
2. Place half of cannelloni beans and remaining 1 cup vegetable broth in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Add pureed bean mixture, remaining cannelloni beans, black beans, and pepper to soup. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, vinegar, and rosemary.
- Calories: 250
- Fat: 10.4g (sat 1.4g,mono 5.5g,poly 2.2g)
- Protein: 11.8g
- Carbohydrate: 30.5g
- Fiber: 9.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 593mg
- Calcium: 189mg