Monday, December 13, 2010

Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken


No exciting story behind this one (you know, as opposed to my other exciting food blog stories..... snicker).  I needed to feed the crew and after Abe being out of the country for business for 2 weeks, I had not a lot in the fridge.  But I needed a slow cooker recipe to make the boys happy, so off I went to search.  And this is what I came up with.  And good lordy, is it easy.

Abe loved it.  Like, really loved it.  I was almost embarrassed about how good he claimed it tasted and for the glowing looks I was getting during dinner because I kept thinking that I probably should tell him it's the cream cheese he was falling in love with, not my cooking ability.  But hey, pleased as punch was I.

Jimi on the other hand did not like the black beans and I am pretty sure he freaked himself out over seeing tomatoes in the dish (HATES tomatoes).  Even when told it was just salsa, which he loves very much, he still had a "I see tomatoes in my food!" look on his face.  He did say the chicken part (you know, the only thing left) tasted good.  Abe declared how wrong he was and promptly snatched up Jimi's plate and finished his portion of chicken for him. 

Did I mention Abe really liked it?

The only thing I didn't like about the recipe was that not all of the cream cheese melted into the dish, so clumps were visible.  I think that was because I didn't give the cheese enough time to melt before feeding the hungry ones.  I'd give it a good 1/2 hour on high to melt.  It didn't affect the taste, just the appearance.

I got the recipe from grouprecipes.com.   I served it over rice, but it looks like it would be good over egg noodles too.

Enjoy!

Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken
Serves 4-6

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts(can be frozen)
15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
15-ounce can corn, drained
16-ounce salsa
8-ounce cream cheese

Add chicken to slow cooker and cover with black beans, corn and salsa.  Cook on high for 4-6 hours until chicken is cooked.  Place cream cheese on top and cook an additional 30 minutes.  Serve.

13 comments:

  1. This looks great. I love crockpot recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this without the sour cream. So delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa!

    I linked to your recipe on AllFreeSlowCookerRecipes.com. I'd like to talk with you about similarly linking in the future.

    You can view the link here: http://www.allfreeslowcookerrecipes.com/Slow-Cooker-Mexican-Recipes/Slow-Cooker-Cream-Cheese-Chicken

    Thanks!

    Blair, editor for AllFreeSlowCookerRecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blair, sounds great! I look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the recipe. I love how fast this is to put together. I work nights and I am sometimes pretty lazy about dinner so this is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great-I would envision adding onions and black olives.A dollop of sour cream and guacomole when serving would be a tasty presentation. I did not understand E's Jan, 3,2011 comment about leaving out the sour cream as I did not see sour cream included in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, the addition of olives and onions does sound good! I will have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this one, and usually shred the chicken after the cream cheese has melted, mix it all together, and serve it inside tortillas. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marsha Kruse-VelascoMarch 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM

    i am making this tonight and serving it with mashed potatoes. I can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think chopped chives added toward the end of cooking would add some jazz!

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's good served over a handful or two of the original sized Fritos Corn Chips too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a very yummy recipe! I make something similar for taquitos. I have a trick for a lump free recipe using cream cheese. Leave the cream cheese out on the counter about an hour before using. Use your hand mixer and mix cream cheese until smooth. Remove some of the liquid from the recipe and slowly add the hot liquid to the cream cheese while mixing. When you add it back to the recipe, it will be lump free everytime!

    ReplyDelete