Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Caramel Apple Pork Chops

A friend, who is a self-proclaimed cooking newbie, asked if I could add some recipes that were more on the simple and easy-to-make side.  While I thought that's what I had been doing, I can see where some of the ingredient lists can be a wee bit intimating (I do admit to adding the phrase "and this ingredient can be found at your local specialty shop" more than once).

So, in honor of my friend Aubri, I hereby proclaim a new category of recipe: Aubri-Easy.  Or should I call it Aubreasy?  Whatever it is called, it means simple ingredients, simple instructions, fabulous taste.

Hope you enjoy your first one, Aubri!

I got this from Allrecipes.com and adapted it a bit.  Jimi loves it and requests it all of the time.  It's sweet and savory at the same time.  So good on a fall day.  I like to serve it with roasted vegetables and seasoned rice.

Caramel Apple Pork Chops
Serves 4


4 (3/4 inch) thick pork chops
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
4 tablespoons brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 medium tart apples - peeled, cored and sliced
3 tablespoons pecans (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2.  In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, salt and pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Add butter to a skillet and stir in brown sugar mixture and apples.  Simmer on medium heat until apples are tender.  Remove from heat.

3.  Heat oil in a skillet on medium-high heat.  Add chops and sear until golden brown on both sides (about 5 minutes).  Transfer pork chops to a baking dish and pour apple mixture over chops.

4. Bake, covered,  until done, about 30-45 minutes. Sprinkle with pecans.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment