Thursday, December 3, 2009

Foolproof Brown Rice

I know, I know....." A recipe for brown rice?" you're thinking.  But, if you are like most people, brown rice scares the b'jeebers out of you.  It's so much more healthy for you, but tends to be crunchy and just not like white rice. 

I tried feeding more brown rice to the family, but it always went over like a lead balloon.  Abe would even grimace when I said I was making it.  So, after all of that rejection ::sniff::::, I went against my better judgment and just went back to making white rice.

Until I found this recipe.  Now I LOVE brown rice.  Even Abe and Jimi.... yes, Jimi.... will eat it.  I won't fool you.  It's no white rice.  But it is a pretty attractive cousin.  And as the song says, if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with. 

So, embrace the brown rice.  Your heart and waistline will thank you.

I got this recipe from a Cook's Illustrated Light Recipes magazine.

Foolproof Brown Rice
Serves 6

1 1/2 cups brown rice
2 1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375 degrees.  Spread rice in 8-inch square glass baking dish.

2.  Bring water and oil to boil, covered in medium saucepan over high heat; once boiling, immediately stir in salt and pour water over rice.  Over baking dish tightly with double layer of foil.  Bake rice 1 hour, until tender.

3.  Remove baking dish from oven and uncover.  Fluff rice with fork, then cover dish with a clean kitchen towel; let rice stand 5 minutes.  Uncover and let rice stand 5 minutes longer; serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely the only way I make brown rice anymore, although I always refer to it as the Alton Brown method after seeing it on one of his shows, LOL. It is perfect every time, isn't it?

    Just an FYI- I've discovered that you really don't have to boil the water first. I just use cold water straight from the tap and it works fine. I also usually make a double batch and use leftovers for fried rice the next day.

    ReplyDelete