Monday, February 15, 2010

Butter Chicken (Chicken Tikka Masala)

I finally ventured over to a website that's been pretty hot lately on my message board and with some friends.... The Pioneer Woman.  Apparently, it's a blog created by a woman who is both an excellent cook and a great photographer.  All while staying at home with her kids and homeschooling them.  Shoot, I'm lucky if I get a load of laundry in the wash and dinner on the table. 

This recipe was raved on my parenting board, so I thought I'd make it for Abe before he gives up meat for lent (yes, there will be a ton of fish and vegetarian recipes coming in the next month).  He LOVED it.   I'm surprised he didn't lick the plate.

It's super simple to make, too.  I served it with rice and steamed broccoli.

As mentioned, I got this from PioneerWoman.com.

Butter Chicken (Chicken Tikka Masala)
Serves 4

4 pieces Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
5 cloves Garlic, Minced
1 teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoons Black Pepper
½ teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
¼ teaspoons Ground Coriander
¼ teaspoons Cumin
¼ teaspoons Cardamom
1 whole Lime, Juiced
1 whole Onion, Diced
¼ cups Butter
1 can (14.5 Oz. Can) Tomato Sauce
1 can (14.5 Oz. Can) Petite Diced Tomatoes
1 pint Whipping Cream
1 bunch Chopped Cilantro, to taste
2 cups Basmati Rice (or However Much You Want)

Combine first 9 ingredients and marinate overnight.
Saute the onion in the butter until soft. Add marinated chicken and cook about 10 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Cook for 30 minutes over medium-low heat with the lid on. Add the whipping cream (or light cream or half-and-half) and cilantro just before serving over rice.

 Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Chicken Tikka Masala and Butter chicken are not exactly the same. They are the same... but different. The Indian name for the Butter Chicken is Chicken "Makhani". Just an FYI.

    ReplyDelete