Friday, March 9, 2012

Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

Photo courtesy of Angie McGowan
Another Pinterest find for our meatless Lenten dinners.  I think it was the picture that sold me.... believe me, if I had posted the pic of what MINE looked like, you'd maybe be clicking the little red X in the corner.....

I liked it a lot, but Abe really enjoyed it, which is surprising since I'm the veggie in the family.  I think if I make it again, I might try a drizzle of balsamic over the top of the mushroom before adding the cheeses.  I thought it could use a bit of acid.

I only made one addition to the recipe, adding some garlic in.  Make sure to keep an eye on your cheese.  I didn't check mine until close to the 18 minute mark and the cheese was very brown.  Still tasted good, but not as appealing.


Here is a link to the original recipe


Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
Serves 4

4 portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
Olive oil
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup mozzarella or Italian blend shredded cheese
2 – 9 oz bag fresh spinach
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 red pepper, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
Olive oil
Salt and pepper


 Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rub olive oil all over the outer part of your portobello mushrooms.

 Preheat a large skillet and drizzle with olive oil. Add onions, garlic, red peppers and spinach. Add salt and pepper. Saute until spinach is wilted.

 Spoon 1/4 cup ricotta cheese in each mushroom cap. Top with 1/4 of the sauteed spinach. Then 1/4 of the shredded cheese.

 Bake at 400 degrees for 18 – 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and mushrooms are tender.



No comments:

Post a Comment